Thursday, February 17, 2005

I "heart" Huckabees - film review

Last night I saw the film: "I (heart) Huckabees." Very, very interesting film. Like some serious speeded up group therapy, but probably not one to go see in any kind of altered state. Reminded me of 1st year philosophy at Uni.

Story concerns an existential detective agency which is called in when people are in a state of existential angst and they have lost all meaning of life or are trying to look for meaning. It would be great if such an agency existed, but in reality usually we have to deal with this crisis alone.

A very non-Hollywood film for an American film. Very Charlie Kaufman-esque. The whole thing is a bit like an existential poem. Or koan, a bit like the old philosophy quandry, “Who is this ‘I’, asking who is this I, asking who is this I… etc. etc.” Philosophy 101 in a movie.

The film made me rethink this drama of life we are all involved in. Its a very dialogue-rich film, a bit like Richard Linklater's films, where the characters say some very deep stuff, and you gotta really listen.

I loved the French philosopher played by Isabelle Huppert, the wonderful contrast of European existential angst going up against American blind optimism. Also loved the blanket analogy ... we are all interconnected etc. etc. Almost feel they could’ve gone a bit further into the deeper aspects of existentialist philosophy and pushed over into spiritual metaphysics, but they kind of teetered on the edge of it. I was waiting for the big push out into the Void, but then I’m a sucker for a major transformation. But all in all pretty progressive for Hollywood.

I liked the Jude Law character’s story. He was in such an intense amount of denial and was also such a faker. Then his personality gets “deconstructed” and he has this great freak out in the board room meeting and starts throwing up.

But the whole film is worth seeing just for absurd sex-in-the-mud scene. So non-sexy and bestial but in a fun way! ;-)

The ending & resolution of the existential dilemma was superbly pulled together by Jason Schwartzman's character Albert.

The kind of movie to go and coffee afterwards and discuss the nature of being. I give it a superb: "Yeeehawwww" 4/5. Stormi Out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean M Whelan said...

I saw this movie but I fell asleep halfway through the film. This is not a reflection of the quality of the movie, I just happened to be drunk at the time. I didn't intend to go to to the movies drunk (it's never a good idea.) I just happened to get a phone call inviting me to the movies when i was drinking a bottle of wine at home. Then before the film we drank some more wine, so by the time I was in the cinema I was nicely toasted. When I woke up, I was completely lost plot-wise and couldn't follow the film at all. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie again... sober.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Meri quoteth: said...

Seeing this movie drunk would have made no sense at all! It was hard enough to grok the existential complexities while straight. Kind of film that would have a script that would actually be fun to read. :-)

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home