Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Book: Invisible Monsters


Just finished Invisible Monsters from good ol' Chuck P. My favorite lines:

"Find what you're afraid of most and go live there."

and...

"This is the biggest mistake I could think would save me. I wanted to give up the idea I had any control. Shake things up. To be saved by chaos. To see if I could cope, I wanted to force myself to grow again. To explode my comfort zone."

ahhh... for the love of the Chuck! ..For he finds the enlightenment within nihilism.. ;-)

Such a complete reading experience, he never leaves any loose ends, everything gets tied up in the end, his narrative almost circular in structure, like a mandala. He plays around alot with chronological time, but I never felt lost.

I'm trying not to read all his books at once, I read one and then read something completely different to keep my palate fresh.

[Confession: While reading this book I actually had a slightly sexy dream about Chuck (!)... and yeah, I know he's gay and he was more of a friend than a lover in my dream. We were working on writing together, it was NYC or some US city and I had to go out for something... I got lost out in the big city and it turned into one of those 'frustration' dreams where I couldn't find my way back & couldn't work the mobile phone I had ... but I was determined and finally figured out how this phone worked and found my way back to his apartment. He was distraught, upset and chastened me for wandering, saying he was worried about me & we hugged fiercely.. awww Chuck! I never knew you cared... how weird for my subconscious to use him as a metaphor, maybe, for the writer within that had strayed. Maybe I'm finally going mad... at last sweet release from this annoying sanity!!]

Next book: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, then A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett. My gawd, I'm turning into a hardcore book slut. [ps... thx to the beautiful Marika for the loan of Invisible Monsters & if yr reading this we must get together & do our bookswap soon!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home